Saturday 23 June 2012

Can Business and Ethics Go Together in India?

Recently, I chose to have an additional net connection at home and was mighty impressed with the frequent ads of a company in the electronic media and decided to go for it. Also, the outlet was closer home and lethargy of travelling all the way to an alternative brand’s outlet made me settle for this company. The store was all decked up with smart girls wearing their company t-shirts and the ambiance was quite trendy. I was presented with all possible permutations and combinations and I chose an unlimited plan in which I had to pay Rs 2100/- upfront to get free modem forever and free unlimited internet downloads for three months. I did check about connectivity in my location to which the smart girl answered in the affirmative. Satisfied with the bargain, I came back home and hooked on but the connection was not working. In the next 10 days, I made several calls to all the possible people but nothing happened. Fed up with the ordeal, I went back to the store and demanded my money back.

Seeing my temper flow freely, the store manager sent a technician to my place. He tried everything possible before admitting that there is a connectivity issue and registered a complaint with the network team of that company. He told me that they will resolve the issue and that I will get a confirmation call from Mumbai. As predicted, I received a call from Mumbai to inform that my area does not have high speed network connectivity. What then? I went back to the store and demanded termination of connection and refund of my money. After a couple of days and with much reluctance, I was repaid Rs 1100/- after deducting Rs 1000/- being cost of the modem. I wished to return the modem as it was of no use to me anymore, but the same was not taken back as per their company policy. There are two issues in this. Firstly, the modem was free with upfront payment of Rs 2100/- and secondly, I never went there to purchase a modem. Modem was only incidental to my getting internet services. In the mean time, within 14 days of my purchasing the connection, I received my first bill for Rs 21/- being service tax. On enquiry, it was revealed that the bill is generated as per billing cycle and hence in effect, I will get free internet only for 2 ½ months. The store team washed their hands off and asked me to lodge a complaint with the customer care of the company.

I registered a complaint on the website of the company and promptly received an acknowledgement. However, after a couple of days, I was informed that the modem can’t be taken back. Their reply was non committal with regard to the billing cycle and the service tax for receiving no services. I challenged them to go to the consumer court but it did not matter to them much. Since then, I get a call every second day from the company reminding me about my outstanding bill and asking me to pay up. Gradually, the bill amount went up to Rs 121 including late payment fees of Rs 100/- and now in three months or so it stands at Rs. 1221/- and each time I get a call, I relentlessly narrate this story to them and ask for a refund of Rs 1000/- and each time they promise to resolve the issue but a new person gives me a call the next time over. I have now kept this Modem in my drawing room showcase as it is a very proud possession. I wondered how this company has grown to such magnitude in our country till one of my friends recently shared the best lines by Dhirubhai Ambani, “You will never reach your destination, if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks. Better keep biscuits and move on”. Doesn’t this explain it all!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment