Saturday 23 June 2012

No End to Woes of a Common Man


The first year of my retired life had been more adventurous than the 25 years I spent in the forces. Each day there is a new issue and I wonder how a common man must be surviving in this country. On relocating to Nagpur, the entire family had to migrate to a new mobile connection and accordingly we chose to have all connections through one service provider. As time went by, we started realizing that our prepaid balance is getting deducted arbitrarily. I went to the retailer who had sold me these connections. He called up some number and promptly informed me that I had activated four different services on all the four connections purchased. Ooops!! I wondered how and when did all of us do this? Perplexed, I asked him to deactivate all the services from all my connections for once. Happy that the issue is over, we took extra care to see that we do not activate any services even by mistake. After about 15 days, I once again realized that my balance is getting deducted. I again went back to the retailer who opened the can of worms. Almost all private mobile service providers in India, target connections of senior citizens and rural customers and activate services to make money. How they do it is like this. They will make a call to these customers. If the customer picks up there will be a song that will play and the fact that he took the call is taken as his acceptance for a service of which he is not even aware. If he misses the call and gives a call back assuming this to be a missed call of some acquaintance, the service will get activated automatically. This came as a rude shock to me. I checked with my parents who reside nearby and are both senior citizens - the old man is an octogenarian. I was surprised to know that they recharge using Rs 10/- coupon whenever they have to speak to someone and on that day they call all their near ones till that Rs 10 recharge get exhausted. Otherwise the connection is only for incoming calls and this is because the balance gets deducted automatically. Ironically, they receive ‘love tips’ as part of the paid services. 

I demanded to speak to the company representative and was given a call centre number which was of no use as they only tell you that on so and so date you had activated some service. Taking the retailer into confidence, I managed to get the company representative number and called him up. After a few minutes of conversation the language turned ugly which may not befit a vivid description. I went to the company outlet and met the guy personally and threatened of legal consequences. I knew for sure that there is no way I can prove this fraud, thanks to our legal system. Thankfully, this nonsense stopped for me at least for now. But think of the thousands of illiterate villagers and senior citizens who can’t chase the rouges of our society.

This brings me to the point of recent homecoming of A Raja, the tinted ex-telecom minister who received much fanfare. I remember, in his reply to one of the embarrassing questions posed by a journalist, he kept saying, “I am a student of law”. I wonder, if it means he is invincible? The irony is that the same villagers, who are being swindled, come in large numbers with garlands to welcome such unscrupulous students of law. Looking at the state of our democracy, I wonder if democracy itself is the cause of much of the woes of this country. I have not named the service provider for fear of a defamation suit but be rest assured almost all private service providers do this. How else do you expect them to make up for the huge bribes allegedly paid to the concerned people?

I wish the Libyans had deported Col Gaddafi to India for a while at least. I would have seconded his nomination for the post of President of India!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment