Saturday 22 June 2013

Life Skills Training - A True Learning Session

 As my son turned 18 recently, I thought of training him on essential life skills required to survive in India. He wanted to open a bank account. I asked him to plan a visit to the State Bank of India, Main Branch as all our accounts are in that branch. He chose to visit the branch on a Saturday and I asked him to go about behaving like an adult and get the work done, while I guide him remotely.
We reached the bank together and after showing him the desk where new accounts are opened, I went on to operate my locker. Within a minute he returned to me saying his account can’t be opened in that branch because we reside beyond the jurisdiction of the main branch, something that sounded strange to me as all our accounts are in the same bank. I told the staff that we have three accounts in that branch and hence it should be possible to open the fourth one, upon which he bothered to see the documents that my son was carrying to ascertain the residential address. He also insisted on knowing the details of other three accounts and finally he gave the application form and asked my son to fill it up and give a copy of identity proof and address proof.
Soon enough a hunt for pen commenced as he had not brought one and since the form was voluminous and in any case photo copies of documents had to be taken, he decided to buy a pen too. He went around the place but there was no sight of a copying center and finally after walking some distance he found one and got the documents copied and bought a blue pen too. He could fill only part of the form and went back to the staff for clarification but was redirected to me for further help. My son wondered (a) why they can’t provide photocopying service for a cost, instead of making the customer run around? (b) Why is there a board behind the desk that reads “May I Help You?”, if he has to shoo away customers?
On filling the form, he realized that some signatures are required only in black color and hence had to borrow a pen from other customer. The form duly filled and photocopies of documents ready, he approached the staff again and within a flash the form was rejected as copy of the electricity bill was not attached. My son returned to me and I intervened again, much to the dislike of the staff. I explained that copy of ‘Adhar’ card is attached which has a photograph and also the address and that Adhar card is mother of all cards in the country. Not amused by the pun, he insisted that two different documents are required, one for photo identification and another for address proof. Luckily, my son was carrying his dependent’s identity card   issued by the Indian Navy. He went out once again to get a photo copy and furnished the documents but yet again the application was rejected as this identity card was not acceptable. I had to again intervene as the form does include identity cards issued by government to be a valid identity proof. As a first reaction, the staff had assumed it to be an identify card issued by the college (incidentally, even this is valid as per the form) but after explaining that it is issued by Government of India, he accepted the form and asked us to come on Monday with a copy of the electricity bill.
My son wondered why he is opening an account in State Bank of India and asked me why not in any other bank where the staff is more helpful. It was then that I realized that perhaps, we oldies have learnt to live with this nonsense. But when we have a choice now, why should we go through this.
On our way back home, I asked my son to summarize his learning and this is what he had to say:-
a.                   If you can help it, never deal with government banks.
b.                  If you have to, then carry enough copies of all kinds of proofs like Adhar, Driving License, Electricity bill, Photo Identity cards issued by Government, College etc.  
c.                   Carry a pen always, the one that can write in at least four colors viz. black, blue, red and green, as you never know which color will be insisted where.
d.                  Never take a ‘No’ from the staff on face value. Question, clarify and if required argue as they may not be there to help in the first place.
e.                  Never plan too many things for a day, as you never know how long a silly thing like opening a bank account may take.

On reaching home he called up one of the private banks who promised to facilitate the process at our residence and now even I am contemplating to shift all my investments out of State Bank of India.
But who cares!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment