Tuesday 20 November 2012

India Stinking - Part 2



Many of my friends tell me that I have turned cynical as all my writings are about negativity in the society. As I ponder over this remark, I feel each of us face these situations; it is just that I write about them vociferously while others suffer this passively. Most of my readers and followers are young citizens of our country and I want them to feel the misery of this generation and take a proactive stand towards changing this society.

I may sound cynical once again, but here is another true account of the treachery one has to face in this country. I parked the entire arrears of the 6th Central Pay Commission in a property in Bhopal in May 2009. It was ideally located next to the cantonment, away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It was a Delhi based company (Niho Constructions Limited) which was developing the project and I should have expected it all. But, the greed of owning a peaceful residence close to the cantonment towards the end of my long career in the Defence, dragged me in and along with me some 40 service officers invested in the project. The documentation was quite elaborate and included a penalty clause in case of delay in giving possession  beyond 24 months and we thought it to be very safe. The project worked well till Feb 2011 and suddenly the work stopped. My house progressed till internal plaster and it stands still thereafter and I have already paid 90% of the agreed price. The agreed 24 months expired in May 2011 and gradually all the employees started leaving the project and the entire office now looks deserted with one peon and a security guard on the rolls and one executive from Delhi making an occasional visit. I retired in Apr 2011 and thought of living in this house but had to shift to Nagpur finally.

Initially I tried writing letters to the company with no response. Finally, sent a legal notice in Aug 11 and filed a case in the consumer court in Oct 11. As of any other consumer forum in this country the case is going on and on. The other customers in Bhopal approached the collector, police commissioner and even the chief minister. I met the magistrate personally once and gave a written complaint. I even wrote a letter to the chief secretary of the state, copy to chief minister. But none of this could move the state machinery while the company was still booking phase 2 of the scheme. I approached the local print media to cover the story and to my utter shock, the PR agent conveyed the reluctance of the print media as this company gives them advertisement business. Finally, I went all the way to Delhi to meet the Directors of the Company but could meet only a lower level employee who claimed ignorance. The matter stands at that and I look towards the sky and ask for justice. Is there anything else that a common man could do to get justice in this country!!

I know of a senior citizen who won a civil suit in Mar 2011 and the honorable court ordered the party to pay up Rs 2 lakhs to the senior citizen within a month. You may be surprised to know that nothing really happened till date because the party has manage  not to received the court order and the court staff has not served the summons till date. The point is, even if the consumer court or any other court gives a verdict in favour, the implementation of the order is next to impossible. It is the bureaucracy that had squarely failed this country in every way. Do I have a case to be cynical!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment