Wednesday 31 October 2012

Indian Navy Blatantly Defies RTI Act



One would expect the services to abide by the law of the land but the rot has set in so deep that the very fiber of the erstwhile illustrious services has been destroyed completely. Here is how I have formed this opinion. Way back in 2002, while serving in the Indian Navy, I was compelled to go against my boss, a then Commodore, for initiating a false citation in favour of his crony. However, the statutory complaint filed by me was brushed under the carpet by the highest echelon of the Indian Navy and shamelessly promoted such unscrupulous element who has now reached the rank of a Vice Admiral. Just before my retirement, encouraged by the enactment of RTI Act, I asked the Indian Navy as to what action if any, was initiated against my complaint. The Public Information Officer did not reply to the application which forced me to appeal. Once again the appellate authority kept mum and I appealed to the Chief Information Commissioner. Like any other judicial system of our country, it took 16 months and several letters and telephonic reminders to get my case heard. Luckily, the CIC on 06 Jul 2012 ruled in my favour and asked the CPIO to coordinate with the concerned PIO of Southern Naval Command and provide the necessary information to me within 04 weeks. I thought I am very close to the truth, but it has been nearly 16 weeks and there is no reply yet.

I wrote a letter to Admiral Nirmal Verma, then Chief of Naval Staff with copy to Chief of Personnel and Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Southern Naval Command, asking them to provide me the information. The Chief has since retired and the rest are blatantly non-complying with the CIC order. Such is the scruples of senior service officers. When I first learnt of the case in 2002 and complained, I thought it is a case of isolated incident and that such officers must be penalized. However, turn of events established it in unambiguous terms that most senior officers of the services are no less than the corrupt politicians and bureaucrats of our country. Well, the battle is still on - thanks to the military training imparted to me at the Academy. I shall meet them all In the Armed Forces Tribunal, shortly.   

God save the soldiers!!!!     

2 comments:

  1. Satyameva Jayate! truth prevails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. m also in navy..the rot is getting deeper and deeper!

    ReplyDelete